History

Pre-war Municipal Hall of Sibalom – this building was burned during the second world war. This was located at the corner of Furio (formerly Bonifacio) and Fenete (formerly Rizal) streets, in front of Atty. Tan’s residence.
Source: Sibalom Banwa Ko Facebook Page

It was in the middle of the 17th century when the town of Sibalom was founded under the Spanish domination. It was inhabited by the Malays that came from Borneo under the leadership of Datu Sumakwel. After the governments of several provinces were established, a pueblo or town was organized. The first capitan and governadorcillo of Sibalom was Don Pedro Antang in 1751. Agustin Baladjay, who had been elected many times as governadorcillo, had been imprisoned by Spanish authorities in the province for having resisted against the abuses of Spanish officials. His followers from the mountains fought against the guards and released him. In 1792 to 1793 when Santiago Damacino was the governadorcillo, the Roman Catholic church was erected. The people were forced to work in the construction of the church. In the year 1802 when Juan Geronimo was holding the position, there was pestilence. A destructive typhoon occurred in the year 1814 when Juan Benito was the governadorcillo. Basilio Vilvar became governadorcillo many times beginning the year 1858. He was considered as one of the most educated and the wealthiest landowner. Later on he lost his wealth for he was too hospitable to the government officials. From 1878 to 1879, when Mariano Rojo was the governadorcillo, there was famine for almost two years. Santiago Lotilla was given a medal of merit in San Jose, Antique. It was under his domination that the Roman Catholic cemetery was erected. He also encouraged the planting of fruit trees such as coffee, cacao, etc. During the term of Felipe Tordesillas in 1888 to 1889, war broke out between the mountaineers of Sibalom and San Remigio. Gregorio Palermo, also known as King Ario, was their leader. They revolted against the Spanish government. They made the mountain of Igbaong, in the barrio of Osorio, as their headquarters. Under the leadership of Mariano Vacera, from 1893 to 1894, the municipal building was erected. Doroteo Alvior was the last governadorcillo to hold office in the year 1896. The Spanish sovereignty lasted until the month of November 1898 when an expeditionary force sent by General Emilio Aguinaldo under the command of General Leandro Fullon and Colonel Angel Salazar conquered the capital of the province San Jose on 24 of November 1898. The people had learned to read and write in Spanish from the Spanish missionaries. The Spanish occupation brought Christianity to the people and the people’s victory over the Spaniards brought the foundation of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente or the Aglipayan Church.

Source: Wikipedia